Ausgrid delivers a safe and reliable electricity supply to more than 1.7 million homes and businesses across Sydney, the Central Coast and the Hunter regions. The business and our predecessors have been supplying electricity since 1904. We are an industry leader in distributing electricity and providing energy services.
Our network area covers 22,275 square kilometres and includes more than 200 large electricity substations, 30,000 small distribution substations, 500,000 power poles and almost 50,000km of below and above-ground electricity cables.
On 1 December 2016 the NSW Government entered into a partnership with AustralianSuper and IFM Investors to operate the network under a long-term lease.
Under the new ownership arrangements, Ausgrid will maintain its focus on safety and reliability, and our commitment to customers and the communities we serve. Our key areas of operation are:
- Asset management of the electricity distribution and transmission network
- Infrastructure-related construction and maintenance
- A range of services including street lighting, safety checks and 24-hour emergency electrical repairs.
110 years of Ausgrid’s electricity network
- 1904: Sydney Municipal Council begins electricity supply of streetlights in Sydney CBD.
- 1935: Sydney County Council formed to run the electricity network in City of Sydney.
- 1991: Sydney Electricity created by merging Sydney County Council with other county councils.
- 1996: Sydney Electricity becomes EnergyAustralia.
- 2011: EnergyAustralia electricity network renamed Ausgrid.
- 2016: AustralianSuper and IFM Investors acquire a 50.4% interest in Ausgrid under a long-term lease.
- Find out more about the network’s history in Electrifying Sydney - 100 years.