See below tips for efficent use of your air conditioner that can help save energy, money and the environment.
- Buy a high star rated model and select the right sized air conditioner for the room and that suits your needs – a big system costs more to run
- Choose a reverse cycle model as it is efficient for winter and heating too
- Use a thermostat to avoid over-cooling the space. The recommended room temperature range should be between 23 and 26 degrees.
- Buy a high star rated model and save up to $100 a year
- Select the smallest fridge that meets your needs
- Don’t leave the fridge door open longer than needed
- Keep fridge as full as possible. If your fridge is empty, fill up bottles of water and leave them in the fridge – an empty fridge uses more energy.
- Check the condition of your fridge seals by using the ‘paper test’. If the seals don't hold the paper in place when the fridge door is shut, then consider replacing the seals.
Freezer/ Second fridge
- Get rid of, or turn off your spare/second fridge and save up to $250 a year
- If you need it, consider a bigger, more efficient main fridge instead of a second fridge and save up to $200 a year
- Consider switching it off when you are not using it, and turning it on only when you need it
- Check the condition of your fridge seals by using the ‘paper test’
- NSW government and local councils offer a rebate for second fridge in-home collection, visit www.fridgebuyback.com.au