Ausgrid is building a new substation at the corner of Australia Avenue and Bennelong Parkway in Bicentennial Park, Sydney Olympic Park. The project involves the construction of an architecturally designed substation and associated equipment.
The substation will allow Ausgrid to meet the increasing electricity demand from the area’s growing business and residential community and is line with Sydney Olympic Park’s Master Plan 2030.
The Sydney Olympic Park Authority has been extensively involved in the design process with Ausgrid, including the selection of the location at the edge of Bicentennial Park.
There are two main components to the project; the civil construction stage, followed by the electrical fit out of the new substation. Below is a summary of the planned activities and indicative time frames.
February 2014 - late 2015
- Civil construction of the substation building is finished.
- Landscaping and fencing of the substation site is to be completed.
Early 2015 - 2016
- Ausgrid technicians will be on site from early 2015 to install the new electrical equipment.
- Generally there is minimal disruption to the neighbourhood during the fit out process.
- The final stage of the project will be to test and commission the substation.
- The new substation will start supplying power to the local area in 2016.
Community consultation started in May 2011 and involved seeking feedback through community information displays and newsletters. Ausgrid aims to minimise any inconvenience caused during construction and we welcome your feedback at any time throughout the project.
Please note, we do not plan to interrupt any power supplies to complete this project. As with most construction sites, there will be some noise, dust and increased traffic. We will monitor and manage these impacts as necessary. This will include implementing traffic control plans to ensure increased vehicle movements around the site are managed effectively.
Work hours are between 7am and 6pm on weekdays and from 8am to 1pm on Saturdays. There may be occasional work outside these hours, such as after hours deliveries of large equipment to meet traffic requirements. If this is required, we will work with the Sydney Olympic Park Authority to minimise impacts as much as possible.