7 December 2022
Christmas lights make the holiday season bright, so for those decorating both indoors and outdoors, Ausgrid is reminding residents to be aware of the potential dangers to stay safe this festive season.
In previous years Ausgrid crews have come across potentially life-threatening situations where lights have been strung close to live powerlines and attached to power poles.
Ausgrid General Manager Field Operations, Sam Sofi, is urging all residents to follow some basic steps to ensure their Christmas lights are safe.
We all enjoy lighting up our homes with Christmas lights but there are no second chances with electricity. Physical contact with, or even close proximity to live equipment has the potential to cause an electric shock which may result in serious injury or death.
General Manager Field Operations, Sam Sofi.
“It’s been a tough few years and people want to celebrate Christmas with lights displays, however our number one priority is the safety of the community and the last thing we want to see is anyone being injured or worse.
“Never attach lights or decorations directly to or close to any electrical equipment, including powerlines, power poles, light poles or the service wires which run between your property and the poles in the street as they are carrying live electricity.”
This festive season, Ausgrid will also be supporting the Sydney Children’s Hospital Foundation Light for Kids Appeal. Ausgrid has a long history of supporting the SCHF, who tirelessly raises money for children needing medical support across our network.
Visit Electricity Safety for more electricity safety tips in and around the home.