10 December 2021
We are reminding residents to stay safe when decorating their homes with Christmas lights this festive season.
In previous years Ausgrid crews have encountered potentially life-threatening situations where lights have been strung close to live powerlines and attached to power poles.
Ausgrid General Manager Field Operations Sam Sofi is urging all residents to follow some basic steps to ensure their Christmas lights are safe.
“We all enjoy Christmas lights but there are no second chances with electricity. Physical contact with, or even close proximity to live equipment has the potential to cause an electric shock which may result in serious injury or death,” Mr Sofi said.
“We know it’s been a tough few years and people want to celebrate Christmas with lights displays, however our number one priority is the safety of the community and the last thing we want to see is anyone being injured or worse.
“Never attach lights or decorations directly to or close to any electrical equipment, including powerlines, power poles or the service wires which run between your property and the poles in the street as they are carrying live electricity.”
Ausgrid’s top Christmas safety tips:
More Christmas safety advice, click here.