Indoor safety tips

Most electrical accidents happen indoors so consider some of the following safety precautions:

  • Replace damaged or frayed cords and extension leads
  • Use safety switches at your fuse box or electrical outlet whenever possible. The safety switch detects most electrical faults which could pass through the human body causing electric shock.
  • Switch off the power before replacing light bulbs. Be extra careful if your light is operated by a two-way switch.
  • When removing a plug from the power point, never pull on the power cord.
  • Use safety plugs in power points to keep your children safe.  
  • Never use more than one adaptor or power board at a power point.
  • Only attach low powered appliances to power boards.
  • If you receive a tingle or shock from an appliance, (tap, sink, shower or laundry tub), immediately turn off the power at the switchboard and call a licensed electrician or Ausgrid on 13 13 88.
  • Do not touch electrical appliances with wet hands.
  • Wear dry shoes with rubber soles when using electrical appliances in laundries, on wet floors, or outside.
  • Keep electrical appliances away from water even when switched off.
  • Do not use portable electric heaters in a bathroom. A fixed heater installed by an electrician is much safer .
  • Read and follow the instructions that come with any new appliances you purchase.
  • Use only licensed electricians to carry out electrical work such as installing power points or repairing electrical faults.

Click here for information on electrical emergencies in the home including electric shocks or electrical fires.