Our network may need to be extended or upgraded (augmented) so that our infrastructure can accommodate your needs. This will be assessed on the basis of the information provided in your connection application.
Making a preliminary enquiry can be helpful if you are considering buying a rural property or connecting to our network for the first time.Following an assessment you will be offered either a basic or standard connection service.
Basic Connection Service
- A connection not requiring network extension or upgrade (augmentation)
- The contestable services of an ASP/2 is required to make the physical connection between your electrical installation and the network
- If you connect to a part of the network that another customer has funded during the last seven years, you may be required to contribute to a reimbursement scheme established and maintained by Ausgrid. If this is the case, we will notify you when a connection offer is made, or beforehand, if you make a preliminary enquiry.
Standard Connection Service
- A connection requiring network extension or upgrade (augmentation)
If you are connecting your property to a portion of our network with an existing reimbursement scheme, you will need to make a contribution that will be refunded to the customer who bore the initial cost of the augmentation work.
If your connection requires construction of a new section of network, you will generally have to fund the full cost of designing and constructing these works. If so, a reimbursement scheme will be set up over the network extension. If you continue to own the property, you will be reimbursed if additional customers connect in the next seven years.
If the network needs to be augmented and you are required to fund the work, you are responsible for arranging the relevant Accredited Service Providers (ASPs) to complete the work to our standards. You may need:
- An ASP/3 to design the infrastructure to our safety standards
- An ASP/1 to build the infrastructure
- An ASP/2 to perform the service connection.
Installing solar power or embedded generation
Additional requirements apply if you have, or are planning to install, embedded generation like solar panels. Please see embedded generation for further information.
Properties needing less than 100 Amps:
We encourage you to read our application and policy guidelines. For properties that need less than 100 Amps, download this guide to help you fill out your application form.
Properties needing more than 100 Amps:
We encourage you to read our application and policy guidelines. For connections of more than 100 Amps, applicants should download this guide to help you fill out your connection application form.
Next steps for applications that need a certified design
- Following assessment of your application, if we determine the network needs to be extended or upgraded to make your connection then you will need a certified design of these works in order to complete your application. We will start the design process by offering you a design contract. The offer includes a statement of fees as well as terms and conditions of contract.
- You accept the Design Contract and pay the fees to Ausgrid. Design Information is then provided for you.
- You arrange an ASP/3 to design the augmentation works and submit the design to us for certification.
- We will do a desktop audit of the design to check whether it is meets our standards.
- Once we certify the design, the connection application can be completed. We will send you a connection offer.
- There is an option to expedite a connection on the application form and if you have asked for expedition and indicated that the model standing offer of connection services for ASP/1 connections is appropriate, the contract will commence on the date we certify the design.
- If you choose not to expedite the connection, you have 45 business days to accept the connection offer.
- Once the connection contract is in place, you arrange an ASP/1 of your choice to build the network assets, and an ASP/2 to provide metering.
- Ausgrid will inspect the work throughout the construction period to make sure it meets our standards before the power is turned on. Once electrified, the connection assets constructed by the ASP1 will be owned and maintained by Ausgrid as part of our network.
- When the connection contract commences, another contract called Ausgrid’s Deemed Standard Connection Contract is formed between Ausgrid and the retail customer who will use the electricity at the premises. This contract takes effect as soon as the property is connected and electricity is being used.