Who can benefit from a community battery?
The Ausgrid Community Battery trial program aims to show how:
- The benefits of community batteries can be shared between local customers, the wider community, electricity networks and other energy companies, and
- Community batteries can help deliver cost savings and support the take up of solar power by households and businesses.
A community battery is a relatively new concept in Australia. It is a shared battery solution located in a local neighbourhood and allows customers and the wider community to share in the multiple benefits that batteries can provide.
Benefits for participating solar customers
Community batteries can offer a more cost-effective alternative to installing your own battery storage. Some of the benefits include:
- No upfront battery installation costs
- No maintenance costs – including risk of battery failure, and
- No need to pay for a new battery at end of life.
- Customers can be provided with a storage solution for their individual needs
- Customers can ‘flex’ their battery size to suit their changing circumstances
- No space for a battery? No problem! A community battery doesn’t take up space in your garage or on your front porch.
Benefits for all customers
Community batteries don’t just save on electricity costs for local solar customers. They help to keep electricity prices down for the wider community.
Community batteries can:
- Help make our energy supply clean and green by supporting and encouraging greater uptake of solar by households and businesses
- Increase the number of batteries in the energy system, which can reduce peak demand and place downward pressure on energy prices
- Make access to energy storage more equitable, giving everyone the ability to save on their electricity costs
- Offer a better and cheaper alternative to traditional network investment, and
- Offer a cheaper way to provide storage to the community as larger, shared batteries are cheaper to buy and maintain than lots of smaller, individual batteries in homes.
Have a question? Check our FAQs.