Authority to travel for oversized vehicles
- when transporting high loads, plan safe travel paths that allow you to maintain the required clearances
- before entering a worksite or property, contact the site manager or property owner for information on the approved safe travel path on site
- visually check all powerlines if you must pass beneath them and ensure you don’t vary from the approved safe travel path
Loads over 4.6 metres require a permit to travel through the Ausgrid network area. Please allow up to 5 weeks to process the permit application.
Contact Ausgrid on 13 13 65 and provide details of:
- dimensions of the load (vehicle height, width and length)
- origin and destination of the load and route specification
- date and time of travel
- load description
- vehicle registration/s
- name, address and contact details of the service provider responsible for facilitating the transport of the high load and providing safety precautions.
If a vehicle does contact overhead powerlines it will become 'live' and the electricity will attempt to pass through it to the ground.
In order to stay safe you should:
call 000 and Ausgrid on 13 13 88 immediately
- always remain in the vehicle
- never approach, attempt to rescue or allow others to approach any machinery or vehicles in contact with power lines
- stay a minimum of 8 metres from the vehicle (about a bus length away)
- treat all power lines as if they are 'live'
- after the emergency is over and you are able to access the vehicle, get a professional to check all tyres, bearings and brakes before you operate or drive it.