Life Support

How to register


Am I eligible to register as a life support customer?

If you rely on any of the following equipment, you are an eligible life support customer:

  • an oxygen concentrator
  • an intermittent peritoneal dialysis machine
  • a kidney dialysis machine
  • a continuous positive airways pressure respirator
  • Crigler-Najjar syndrome phototherapy equipment
  • a ventilator for life support
  • any other equipment that a registered medical practitioner certifies as required for life support.

If you have any questions about the equipment you or someone in your home uses and whether it is life support equipment, talk to your doctor.

There are times when we may need to interrupt the power supply so crews can safely carry out essential upgrades or planned maintenance to the electricity network. If you rely on medical equipment, we encourage you to register as a life support customer.

How to register 

  • You, a family member or carer can register directly with Ausgrid by calling 13 13 65 (9.00am to 4.30pm).
  • You can also contact your Electricity Retailer to see if you’re eligible for the NSW Life Support Energy Rebate. Registration for life support and/or the NSW Life Support Energy Rebate require completion of the Life Support Energy Rebate Form which is to be signed by your doctor.
  • Your Electricity Retailer will support you with your application for the rebate and can also register you as a life support customer and pass this information to us.

How to remove or change your details

Please call your Electricity Retailer to update your contact details or contact us on 13 13 65 to change your life support status. 

You may be eligible for financial assistance

Our Customer Assistance Framework has been developed to assist customers who need to pay Ausgrid directly for bushfire safety rectification work, damage to our network, the rental of tiger tail safety equipment and defect rectification. To find out if you are eligible for assistance, please see our Customer Financial Assistance page.

Have trouble hearing?

If you have difficulty hearing you can talk to us via the National Relay Service (NRS).
The NRS is an Australian Government phone and internet service for people who have a hearing or speech impairment.

For TTY (teletypewriter) services call 13 36 77 then ask for 13 13 65.
For speak and listen services call 1300 555 727 then ask for 13 13 65.


Download the Life Support Factsheet
Download the Life Support Checklist Action Plan