If you have no power
- check our power outages map to see if we are aware of the outage and whether this is part of a scheduled interruption.
- check if other lights and electrical equipment are working
- look outside for damage, such as downed powerlines. Stay away from any fallen powerlines or trees lying across powerlines
- check if your neighbours have power
- once you have assessed the situation you can report the outage online or call 13 13 88.
Please be patient. If a power outage has affected a large amount of customers our call centre will become very busy, very quickly. You may hear a pre-recorded message when you call. Where possible, this will include an estimation of the time it will take to restore power. If you need more information stay on the line and a customer service representative will assist you.
If you have electricity to some parts of your property or if your neighbours have power and you don’t – the problem could be inside your home. Check online or call 13 13 88 in the first instance to check.
Life support customers
If you rely on life support equipment, we encourage you to register your details with us and prepare an action plan in the event of a planned or unplanned power outage. Read more about life support on our website.
Extended power outages
While we work to restore power, you can:
- leave one light switched on so you will know as soon as the power is restored
- tune into your local radio station with a battery operated radio or the car radio for power restoration updates
- you can also get power restoration updates from Ausgrid on social media including Facebook or Twitter
- assist your neighbours where possible but remember safety first
- switch off and unplug sensitive electrical and electronic equipment - this may include your TV, computer, hi-fi system, or DVD player
- do not open the fridge or freezer - food will last longer if you keep doors closed
- use a generator with extreme caution. Generators should only be used to power appliances directly plugged into them. Do not connect the output to the house switchboard or wiring because this can cause a safety risk for our workers. Download our safety sheet for more information.